Would you like to see more details of your baby’s features before he or she arrives? Our unique 3D-4D sonogram service is available to patients in their 26th to 30th week of pregnancy.
Sessions are 30 minutes in length and are available:
- Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons: Shannon Clinic, 120 E. Beauregard.
- Fridays: Shannon Women’s Imaging Center, 3301 S. Bryant.
Download our consent form to fill out and bring with you to your appointment.
Elective ultrasounds for fetal portraits are not medically necessary and are not covered by any health insurance plan or flexible spending account. Payment of $100 will be required in full for this service prior to the procedure. This is a nonrefundable fee. The quality of fetal portraits obtained varies depending upon the position and gestational age of the fetus as well as other factors.
The following information will assist you in evaluating the benefits and risks of ultrasound technology and provide you with the information required for you and your family to make an informed, educated decision regarding elective ultrasound for fetal portraits/DVD. After reviewing the information, feel free to seek clarification or additional information from your OB-GYN doctor.
- Ultrasonic fetal scanning is generally considered safe if properly used to evaluate the size, location, number and age of fetuses; presence of some types of birth defects; fetal movement; breathing and heartbeat, and is the current standard in prenatal care. Ultrasound is a form of energy, which even at low levels can produce physical effects in tissue. However, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) there is no evidence that these physical effects can harm a fetus.
- 3D-4D ultrasound to obtain keepsake fetal portraits is an elective, nonmedically necessary procedure which both the FDA and the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine (AIUM) discourage due to the lack of information about long-term effects of ultrasound exposure.
- The physicians at Shannon Clinic believe the risks to an expectant mother and a fetus for a brief, 30-minute elective ultrasound to be minimal. Due to the limited time, we will only allow one guest in the room during the session.
- A qualified sonographer under the supervision of a radiologist performs all ultrasounds, including elective ultrasounds, performed at Shannon.
- No fetal growth measurements or anatomical surveys will be performed or documented as part of the keepsake fetal portrait session. Nevertheless, fetal abnormalities discovered during the session will receive appropriate medical response consistent with prenatal standards of care.
- The required gestational age for fetal portraits is between 26 and 30 weeks because amniotic fluid levels are optimal and the fetus has adequate body fat and tissue.
- Videos and cameras are not permitted.
Limited appointments are available, so we encourage you to call and reserve a time as early as possible. Sessions are $100 and the fee is due at the time of your appointment. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a session, please call Larryn at 325.658.1511, ext. 3221.
We look forward to providing you and your family with this special keepsake!